Also included is an extensive review of dive theory plus additional skill development workshops to sharpen and fine tune your in water skills.
All our IDC candidates are ‘guaranteed’ success on the course and exam.
The IDC is “split” into two sections. The Assistant Instructor course (A.I) scheduled over the first 4 days introduces teaching techniques for skill and knowledge development.
The Padi Instructor course concentrates on duties and programs AIs may conduct independently. Successfully completing this course earns an AI certification and qualifies the AI to continue on to an OWSI program in the future.
Ideally, we would like you to arrive at Crystal Dive at least a few days before the start of your PADI IDC.
The 2 day IDC Prep is designed to refresh your theoretical knowledge, as well as sharpen the demonstration quality skills you learnt during your PADI Divemaster course. This allows you to feel confident about your prerequisite skills & diving knowledge before the IDC begins.
The PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC), provides a professional learning experience in which you will learn how to teach diving skills within the PADI system.
You learn the technique of classroom and lecture presentations, confined and open water tuition and the use of the PADI teaching aids, such as video, CD-Roms and manuals.
Matt’s award winning program covers twice as much water work as is required by PADI standards & much more than other IDC Centres.
The OWSI program, scheduled over 6 days introduces you to the entire PADI System and focuses on further developing your abilities as a professional dive educator.
PADI Assistant Instructors as well as instructors from other dive training organizations who want to become PADI Instructors must complete this program.
Successfully completing this program qualifies candidates to attend a PADI Instructor Examination (I.E).
Arriving early also gives you time to acquaint yourself with our resort and the local area as well as take in a few complimentary fun dives! Matt or one of the Crystal IDC team will always be around, ready to answer any questions.
- minimum age 18 years
- PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification from other recognized training organisation
- Current CPR and First Aid training (within the past 24 months)
- certified as a Scuba Diver for at least 6 months
- A medical statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months
- At least 60* logged dives
*as a PADI Career Development Center, candidates completing the IDC with us are permitted to enter the IE with less than 100 logged dives. PADI will process teaching status once the 100th dive has been logged.
All IDC candidates must have, in their possession, a personal, current set of the following materials for study and use during the course and for reference afterward:
- PADI Instructor Manual
- PADI’s “Guide to Teaching”
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual, or these specialty course instructor guides: Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation
- PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner – RDP Table and e-RDPML, including Instructions for Use booklets
- How to Use and Choose Dive Computers book
- Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
- Adventures in Diving Manual
- PADI Rescue Diver Manual
- Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- Divemaster Final Exams booklet
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Open Water, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving
- Confined & Open Water Lesson Preparation slate
- The Encyclopaedia of Recreational Diving
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
We have IDC Crew packs available through Crystal Dive Resort that contain all required educational materials needed to complete the PADI IDC.
With the Padi Instructor Course, we can book a Crystal room for periods of 1 – 6 months, or we can help you find other accommodation away from the dive school.
Fancy teaching others? Click below and reserve your place.